Moving forward is something that none of us ever want to do. It means that we’ve come to terms with the fact that something has ended and will never be the same again. While unpleasant, it is an essential part of life. To help, we’ve gathered the top 10 inspirational quotes about moving on from love after a breakup to remind you that no matter how painful, moving on is the most important thing you can do for yourself.
Inspirational Moving Forward and Letting Go Quotes
1. “Forgiving does not erase the bitter past. A healed memory is not a deleted memory. Instead, forgiving what we cannot forget creates a new way to remember. We change a memory of our past into a hope for our future.” – Lewis B. Smedes
Moving on doesn’t mean forgetting what you are moving on from. Moving on is simply taking the memories of a person or thing and moving them into a different folder, to use a computer analogy. You don’t erase your memories. Instead, just move them from a folder that keeps them in the present tense to one that allows you to think of them in the past tense. Don’t forget, just reallocate and move on.
2. “Moving on, is a simple thing, what it leaves behind is hard.” – Dave Mustaine
Moving on from heartbreak is easy. You simply turn and walk away. The things that it leaves behind, the painful memories and physical mementos of the relationship are harder to deal with. Just take each thing one step at a time, one item or one memory at a time, and figure out where they belong. That is the essence of moving on and should not be rushed.
3. “I’ve been heartbroken. I’ve broken hearts. That’s part of live, and its part of figuring out who you are so you can find the right partner.” –Heidi Klum
There is nothing worse than a broken heart, but in life there is no real way to avoid it either. It is a painful, miserable thing, but it is also one of the universes greatest teachers. A broken heart teaches you the things that you like and need in a relationship, as well as the things that you should avoid. Don’t let it scare you away from seeking love, but make sure to learn from your mistakes.
4. “Blessed are the hearts that can bend; they shall never be broken.” – Albert Camus
It’s hard to learn how to bend your heart rather than allow it to be broken. Bending your heart simply means that you can allow the pain from a break up to roll over you and away rather than having to experience it yourself. It can be a great tool to keep you from being incapacitated by heartbreak, but it is not any way to live.
5. “A man never knows how to say goodbye; a woman never knows when to say it.” – Helen Rowland
Saying goodbye is the first step to moving on, and often the hardest. Men never know how to say good bye, so they often do it poorly, causing more pain and heartache than is strictly necessary. Women, on the other hand, never know when to say goodbye. This causes them to hang on to relationships that might not be healthy for them. Make it a point to learn both when and how to say goodbye.
6. “It is the false shame of fools to try to conceal wounds that have not healed.” – Horace
We all have those wounds that we hide from the world, the marks of loss and heartbreak that seem glaringly obvious to us but may be hard to see for outsiders. Don’t hide your wounds; hiding them and covering them up will just cause them to fester. Instead, focus on healing the wounds, so that you can proudly showcase your battle scars as a survivor of a broken heart.
7. “Do not measure your loss by itself; if you do, it will seem intolerable; but if you will take all human affairs into account you will find that some comfort is to be derived from them.” – Saint Basil
Your loss, your heartbreak, may seem like it is the end of the world, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. The world will not stop for your pain, just like it doesn’t stop for the pain of any other individual. By measuring your loss against the losses of others, you will see that it isn’t as bad as you may think.
8. “The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize the situation is over, you cannot move forward.” – Steve Maraboli
The hardest part of letting go and moving on is often forgiving yourself. You have to realize that no matter what caused your relationship to end, you have to forgive yourself before you can start over. It’s the most difficult lesson to learn, but it is the only one that will make moving on easier less painful.
9. “Sometimes the hardest part isn’t letting go but rather learning to start over.” – Nichole Sobon
This letting go quotes tells us that too many times, people will move on and let go of an old relationship, only to stop trying to start a new one. There is nothing worse than isolating yourself because you’re afraid of the same thing happening over and over again. Don’t let fear or apprehension prevent you from starting over. Instead, look at it as a chance to fix your past mistakes.
10 . “You’ve got to make a conscious choice every day to shed the old – whatever ‘the old’ means for you.” – Sarah Ban Breathnach
This moving on quotes tells us that we all have an ‘old’ that needs to be shed, whether that’s an old significant other or an old relationship, or whatever is classified as old for you. It doesn’t matter what is ‘old’ for you, it needs to be left behind or it will continue to drag you down. That is the essence of what moving on is. Leave behind the old to make room for the new.
When it comes right down to it, moving on is the only thing that’s going to help you get over heartbreak. Moving on from love doesn’t mean that you’re moving on from all love, just that you’re leaving behind a past that is holding you back.
We hope these inspirational quotes about moving on from love after a breakup was helpful. If you need some more inspiration, check out our pages on moving on with life and being happy, and moving on from an ex. There is nothing holding you back from your own happiness but you.